Friday, December 5, 2008

Two Weeks in Heaven...

Two weeks ago today on November 21, 2008, my Dad, Dick Crooks said goodbye to his earthly life and hello to his eternal destiny. At age 75, surely I thought he would have lived longer. Surely there would have been so many more deep conversations with him...

My Dad stood tall and spoke with the deepest voice. He commanded the room with his John Wayne like presence. Everyone, absolutely everyone that knew Dick Crooks loved and respected him. Not only was he the best father to me, he shared that fatherly love with so many others. He was always sincerely interested and engaged when he dealt with people. It was never about him - Dad was the most humble man I've ever known.

Two weeks in Heaven. Now it is all about you, Dad. It's about getting back all of the love that you so freely gave. It's about enjoying an eternity of Holy bliss and I'm so very grateful for that.

Dad believed in fairness, so much so that he carried the burdens of so many others. After all, none of us can make it right for everyone, but oh how he tried to. He was always the Go To Guy, the Rock of our family. Married to my Mom for 54 years and always put her first. A true testimony of unconditional love, thank you Dad.

As a grandfather, Dad shined. We have literally thousands of pictures and memories of this wonderful man enjoying his precious 7 grandchildren. He loved them all equally and was so proud of who they were and who they were becoming.

My life is forever molded by this incredible man. I am so blessed to have had 50 years with my father, Richard Clark Crooks. You've had two weeks in Heaven, Dad and this world is a better place because of you...I will always love you...

2 comments:

Erica Schivinski said...

So heartfelt your words about about your beloved father, Nancy I am so sorry for your loss. He sounded like an amazing man and all of those wonderful qualities you admired in him will live on forever through you and the generations to follow. Keep his spirit alive through your touching stories and wonderful upbeat attitude. Thank you for sharing, because I too lost my father-he passed away quickly from Pancreatic Cancer at age fifty. I miss him everyday of my life, but I also find comfort knowing that I have honored his legacy by living a kind and congruent life.

Becky Lang said...

Beautiful... I love my father when I was 7 and I still miss him every single day. What a wonderful tribute to his memory. Love ya!